Monday, November 13, 2006

I walked into an Office Depot yesterday while I was waiting for the next showing of Borat to start and saw Zune for sale. If I hadn't been really bored and walking around the entire store, I would've never seen it. They had it on the bottom shelf all the way on the far right side of the store, and they had little to no, and totally not memorable, advertising/display. My bf picked it up because it reminded him of an iPod. I'm not sure on Zune's marketing strategy. But if they're trying to become a major threat to iPod, I think the last place you'd want to sell it is at Office Depot!! Sorry Office Depot, you do a wonderful job of providing office supplies, but that's just it, which young and trendy "socially" focused consumer goes to Office Depot to buy something other than office supplies (and I'm not even sure if they do that). That's one of the things that appealed about the iPod, you knew it was "special" because you couldn't buy it at your mass retailer (well when it first launched anyway). It wasn't mainstream, it was cool, you'd see a few people on the subway wearing it and it made you curious because you couldn't find it everywhere. I guess the Zune executives figure that because iPods are everywhere they need to take a mass market approach, but I think that something that's promoting social networks and "sharing" should take a look at consumer research and find something more fitting for its target audience.

No comments: